Saturday, January 29, 2011

Baking Bug

I used to bake ALL the time. I grew up baking. My mom and grandmother's were great bakers (my Grand-daddy too!) and grew up helping in the kitchen. I'm sure I helped cook from time to time, but I always remember the baking best.

I love to make cakes and cookies. I used to make homemade bread on a regular basis. I used to know the recipe for Courtney's Chocolate Chocolate cookies by heart. Banana bread, muffins. I loved to make it all.

When I graduated undergrad and lived on my own I stopped baking as much. Mostly because I was no longer living with roommates (and nearby "dormmates") who could help me EAT all the goodies I would make. I would still create something from time to time, especially in grad school when we had get togethers pretty regularly, but it was never the same.

I always make (and decorate) sugar cookies at Christmas - and I'll make Chris's birthday cake, maybe a batch of brownies or cookies, or something he requests from time to time, but again - there's not that many people to share it with, so it doesn't happen with regularity.

I'm thinking that might change, however. I've started to get the baking bug again. This will mean I'll have to freeze things, find events to take yummy goodness to or fatten up the co-workers. I'm sure I'll work something out. Today I made Nick's Lemon Yogurt Muffins. DEE-licious!!

The indgredient list is simple and short. Flour, sugar, baking soday, baking powder, salt, a lemon, egg, yogurt and milk. Plus some powdered sugar if you want to make the glaze.

They came out of the oven looking loverly.


And when you pour the glaze over top of them - Wow.


The bottoms of mine got a little toasty because I think I had them a rack too low in the oven. Also, as I think I lack proper zesting skill - my muffins themselves weren't so lemony.

But the glaze more than made up for that.

Next weekend I tackle the Chocolate Stout Cake for a Superbowl party. I'm crazy excited. And it is also possible that this blog could become a walking advertisement for Macheesmo. I pretty much want to make everything I see there.

No comments:

Post a Comment